Daily Archives: January 1, 2011
I’m sitting here in my pajamas, thinking about my resolutions for the new year. I should probably get dressed, but I burned two dozen muffins this morning made from mixes that cost $7 a box, and I’m still annoyed.
I followed the instructions to the letter…but never again. I found a clone recipe online, made a few changes to it and I will never buy these mixes again because the clone recipe is awesome and bakes up perfectly in my calibrated gas oven, as opposed to the mixes I bought from Tastefully Simple. There’s no way these muffins should bake 16-18 minutes at 400 degrees, like the box states. Following the instructions in the recipe below, I baked my muffins for 15 minutes at 350 degrees and they were perfect. Very disappointed with the Tastefully Simple product, to say the very least.
Cinnamon Muffin Melt Clone
1 1/2 cups cake flour 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- 2. Mix dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Beat egg and milk together in small bowl, set aside. Beat softened butter until light and fluffy.
- 3. Alternate adding in egg and flour mixtures, mixing after each addition.
- 4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- 5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes, turn pan over onto a wire rack removing all muffins then turning them over with tops up. Let them cool enough so they may be handled.
- 6. Melt the remaining butter. Mix together sugar and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is very fine not powdered.
- 7. Once muffins have cooled dip all sides in melted butter then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on wire rack to finish cooling.
Sorry the photo isn’t the best, I just took the pic on the spur of the moment…I wasn’t planning on posting a recipe today. That’s okay though, I’m happy to share the yumminess, and I’ll do my New Year’s post tomorrow.