Daily Archives: March 29, 2011
Want a delicious but healthy way to satisfy your baking urge? Give these muffins a try. Studded with raisins, walnuts and generous chunks of unpeeled Granny Smith apples, they’re a moist, tasty way to start your day.
This recipe was adapted from the original All Bran’s “Best Bran Muffin” recipe.
Apple Raisin Walnut Bran Muffins
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg’s All-Bran Original cereal or All-Bran Buds
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, chopped with skins on
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and applesauce. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Add apples, raisins and walnuts. Portion batter evenly into twelve greased 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray. I did not use paper liners for these.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Serve warm.
This recipe makes 13 very large muffins, and are 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus each. They’re moist, fruity and the only real sweetness comes from the bran and the added fruit. I find them to be very hearty and satisfying as both a breakfast and a snack, and they are just as good cool as they are warm.